I get messages from friends on how to create a PayPal account in Ghana. In this newsletter, I am not going to talk about why Ghana among other countries has been ignored on PayPal. All I am going to talk about is a way to open an account with PayPal in Ghana or any country that has been removed. You’ll learn a lot about PayPal Ghana as you read along.
All I am going to talk about is a way to open an account with PayPal in Ghana or any country that has been removed. You’ll learn a lot about PayPal as you read along.
What is PayPal?
PayPal is an online payment service that allows individuals and businesses to transfer funds electronically. Here are some of the things you might use PayPal for:
- Send or receive payments for online auctions at eBay and other Web sites
- Purchase or sell goods and services
- Make or receive donations
- Exchange cash with someone
Why is it Legal to Create a PayPal Account in Ghana?
Most People will go like, it is unlawful to own a PayPal Account in Ghana. What I usually tell them is, in case you are in Togo or Nigeria, and it’s legal for you to own a PayPal Account, then, in the same way, it is legal to own one in Ghana. I can be a Togolese or Nigeria and be residing in Ghana at the moment. Does that forestall me from using my PayPal account when I have one? Absolutely not. PayPal took away Ghana and other countries for their own security reasons, not because of the illegality of persons using it in those countries.
Check out: How to Make Money Online in Ghana.
Differences Between Billing and Shipping Addresses
Billing Address: Chaheati.com defines a billing address as the address associated with your credit card – it is used to verify your credit card information. Your billing address is where you receive your bank statement for the credit card.
Shipping Address: Chaheati.com defines shipping address as the address used to tell the seller where you want your items delivered. This can be the same as your billing address, or it can be different.
Creating a Verified PayPal Account in Ghana
While creating a PayPal account, you want to have a billing address. One advantage of PayPal to Ghanaians is that PayPal does not confirm your account with your billing address, not even with your cell phone number. It verifies with your email account only. Consequently, you need a valid email address to verify or spark off your account.
Follow the steps below to create a PayPal account in Ghana:
- Get a virtual Togo address with phone number
- Copy and paste the address somewhere on your computer
- Visit the PayPal site and hit Sign up in the top right corner of the page, or use the URL paypal.com/tg which is the Togo version of PayPal
- Choose a Personal or Business account depending on your choice. Personal accounts are for general transactions like buying items and sending money. Business accounts are for integrating with online shops and related stuff.
- Click Continue and you’d be prompted to type in your email address and other details
- Type in the email field your correct personal email address and choose a secure password
- Hit Continue and put in the address and phone number you have copied earlier in step 2 into the spaces provided
- Create your account and login
- Add your debit or master card details. Debit cards can be obtained from most international banks in Ghana including Barclays, UBA, etc. MasterCards can be obtained from GCB and some other banks.
- Check your email address to verify or activate your account, and enjoy PayPal legally in Ghana.
Check out: List of Online Shopping Sites in Ghana.
Please note that this type of account (Togo account) can only be used to make online purchases or transfer money to other people’s PayPal accounts. You cannot use it to receive money from someone or withdraw money from your account.
And now for your information; if you want to buy items from online, always remember to specify a shipping address, where you want the item to be shipped to. This is totally different from your billing address.