The hell when you try opening your website and all you see is an index of your files and folders. You may end up pissing your pants, seriously. I hate it when my website goes off. You then wonder how to fix the WordPress Index of / error.
Especially when you are running a big website with a lot of users and a lot of money and time invested. You would cry.
When such happens, don’t kill yourself yet. There is a quick solution. Really quick.
Screenshot of the WordPress Index of / Error
This is exactly what you see when you experience the Index / of Error.
Fixing the WordPress Index of / Error
Follow the steps below to fix WordPress index of Error:
- Download the zip file of WordPress from the official WordPress.org website.
- Extract the Downloaded file into a folder format.
- Open the folder till you come across a list of the following folders; wp-admin, wp-content, wp-includes; and files, .htaccess, licence, etc.
- Look for the index file.
- Upload this file into the root directory of your website in your cpanel file manager.
- Refresh your site and you are back up.
This is really simple to do. If you were not able to do it, send us a message on our contact page and we would help you out.
Usually when this error occurs, the dashboard, I mean the backend is active whereas the front page rather has the issue.
The first time I saw this error on one of my websites, I thought I had lost everything. Upon checking through the WordPress website directory, I realized I had only lost the index file.
Not sure what really caused the loss, I had to reupload this file really quick to prevent the loss of more customers.
Thank you for reading. Spread the good news bro!